What is a VA Burial Allowance?
- A VA burial allowance is a partial reimbursement of an eligible veteran’s burial and funeral costs. When the cause of death is not service-related, the reimbursement is generally described as two payments: (1) a burial and funeral expense allowance, and (2) a plot interment allowance.
Who Is Eligible?
You may be eligible for a VA burial allowance if:
- you paid for a veteran’s burial or funeral AND
- you have not been reimbursed by another government agency or some other source, such as the deceased veteran’s employer AND
- the veteran was discharged under conditions other than dishonorable.
- In addition, at least one of the following conditions must be met:
- the veteran died because of a service-related disability OR
- the veteran was receiving VA pension or compensation at the time of death OR
- the veteran was entitled to receive VA pension or compensation but decided not to reduce his/her military retirement or disability pay OR
- the veteran died in a VA hospital or while in a nursing home under VA contract, or while in an approved state nursing home.
How Much Does VA Pay?
Service-Related Death. VA will pay up to $1,500 toward burial expenses for deaths prior to September 10, 2001. For deaths on or after September 11, 2001, VA will pay $2,000. If the veteran is buried in a VA national cemetery, some or all of the cost of moving the deceased may be reimbursed.
Nonservice-Related Death. VA will pay up to $300 toward burial and funeral expenses, and a $150 plot interment allowance for deaths prior to December 1, 2001. The plot-interment allowance is $300 for deaths on or after December 1, 2001. If the death happened while the veteran was in a VA hospital or under contracted nursing home care, some of all of the costs for transporting the deceased’s remains may be reimbursed.
How Can You Apply?
You can apply by filling out VA Form 21-530, Application for Burial Allowance. You should attach proof of the veteran’s military service (DD 214), a death certificate, and copies of funeral and burial bills you have paid.
- Burial in VA National Cemeteries
- Headstones and Markers
- Presidential Memorial Certificates
- Burial Flags
- County VA Benefits
For More Information Call Toll-Free 1-800-827-1000 Or Visit Their Web Site At http://www.cem.va.gov